Rapper Flavor Flav has today admitted chasing his girlfriend's son with a kitchen knife during an argument.
At an earlier hearing the 17-year-old said Flav threatened to kill him before grabbing a kitchen knife, chasing him to his bedroom and plunging the blade through the door.
The 55-year-old reality TV star was facing 12 years behind bars for felony assault charges, but had them reduced to misdemeanor offences at the last minute after the court heard he had reconciled with his family.
The attack happened at the artist's Las Vegas home in October 2012.
Flav, who appeared in court under his real name of William Jonathan Drayton Jr, was sentenced yesterday at Clark County District Court to probation and four months of domestic violence counseling.
During his defence statement Flav said he loved the boy, now aged 18, calling him a 'son', but neither he nor his mother were in court.
The entertainer was initially charged with felony assault and child endangerment with a weapon, but pleaded guilty to attempted battery and battery constituting domestic violence.
After leaving the courtroom, Flav pulled his signature clock necklace from underneath his red T-shirt before speaking to reporters.
His defence attorney said they don't expect today's ruling to affect an upcoming felony speeding and driving without a license case in Mineola, New York.
Flav added: 'I'm standing here in front of the camera, not behind bars.'
The New York charges stem from Drayton's Jan. 9 arrest while driving to his mother's funeral on Long Island.
Attorney Kristina said Drayton was paying fines to resolve that case.
If Drayton violates terms of the agreement in the domestic violence case, he could face up to a year in county jail, Judge Kathy Hardcastle said.
Flavor Flav has been performing on tour since his induction last year with the rap group Public Enemy into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Hardcastle set an Aug. 18 court appearance to close the case if Drayton completes counseling.
VIA Daily Mail